Open Journal of Educational Research https://www.scipublications.com/journal/index.php/ojer <p><em><strong>Open Journal of Educational Research</strong></em> is a peer-reviewed open access journal, OJER provides an international forum for the publication of outstanding full papers from all areas of education and related fields. The Journal seeks to bridge and integrate the intellectual, methodological, and substantive diversity of educational scholarship, and to encourage a vigorous dialogue between educational scholars and practitioners. Contributions that are fundamental to the development of education and its applications are accepted.</p> en-US Open Journal of Educational Research 2770-5552 An Appraisal of PROCESS and REACH Model on Forgiveness, Anger and Depression among Adolescents in Junior High Schools in Nanumba North Municipality, Ghana https://www.scipublications.com/journal/index.php/ojer/article/view/872 <p>The purpose of the study was to examine the effect of REACH and Process Models on forgiveness, anger and depression among 11- to 19-year-old adolescents in junior high schools in Bimbilla in the Northern Region of Ghana. The study employed a mixed-method design. The population for the study comprised all junior high school students totalling 3632. Of this number, 1,888 (55%) of the students were males, while 1744(45%) were females. The accessible population was 1,636 from eight (8) JHSs with 952(55%) of them being boys and the remaining 684(45%) being girls. The participants were selected based on their low levels of forgiveness and high levels of anger and depression determined by the Depression Mode Scale and Anger Self-Report. Purposive and simple random sampling techniques were used to select 60 participants for the study, with each group having 20 participants. The main instruments used for the study are questionnaires (Enright Forgiveness Inventory (EFI). Anger self-report questionnaire (ASR), and Depressed Mood Scale (DMS) and semi-structured interview guide. One-way Analysis of Covariance (ANCOVA) was used to test the hypotheses. The study indicates that both the REACH model and PROCESS model have the efficacy in enhancing forgiveness among adolescents. The study also revealed that the REACH model and Process model have efficacy in reducing levels of depression among adolescent students. It is recommended that Counselling Centres should be set up by District Education Offices and the District Assemblies in the community so that students can visit the centre anytime they feel hurt. Regular seminars, lectures and symposia should be organized regularly by Counsellors and Psychologists using the efficacy of forgiveness therapies (Process and REACH Therapies) for students to be sensitized on the need to patronise forgiveness interventions. It is also recommended that the Government should provide adequate funds and support to encourage the conduct of research in forgiveness counselling since it is a new concept in Africa and Ghana in particular.</p> James Kwame Mahama Mary Braimah Copyright (c) 2024 Open Journal of Educational Research 2024-02-12 2024-02-12 1 18 The COVID-19 Pandemic & College Students’ Perceptions of Access to Mental Health Services https://www.scipublications.com/journal/index.php/ojer/article/view/868 <p>The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on individuals worldwide, affecting not only their educational futures but also their mental health. This paper aims to explore college students' perceived barriers to accessing mental health services during the pandemic. The study finds that there is a significant difference between stigma-related and non-stigma-related barriers, with non-stigma items being rated higher on average. The most commonly reported non-stigma barriers include wanting to solve the problem independently, financial constraints, and the belief that the issue will resolve itself. Stigma-related barriers include feeling embarrassed or ashamed, concern about having a mental health problem on medical records, and fear of being seen as crazy or weak. This research sheds light on the challenges students face in seeking mental health care during the pandemic and highlights the need to address these barriers.</p> Amanda White Christy Coleman-Brown Copyright (c) 2024 Open Journal of Educational Research 2024-02-19 2024-02-19 19 26